Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A few tidbits

It's too bad I can't carry this computer everywhere. I frequently will think of something I should blog about, but then when I sit down at the computer, can't recall what that was!

I do have some updates on the boys:

TJ: Is down to his last month of Fabulous Fives. Where has this year gone? I still can't believe how much he's grown and changed. He's quite responsible and often very helpful. Bill and I are going to set up a chore chart for him this summer, which will allow him to earn privileges and a little bit of cash. It's time for him to learn about spending, saving, and tithing.

TJ can be a sentimental kid. Bill and I spent the weekend in Madison, WI, visiting my dear friend, Elisabeth Gaikema Platt and her husband. The boys spent most of the weekend with my mom. When I went to pick them up Sunday night, TJ came right up to me and said, "Did you miss me, Mom? Because I really missed you." Awww....

Earlier today, I asked the boys if they would like Daddy to make hot dogs on the grill tonight (TJ likes his whole and plain, Sam likes his sliced up, placed on a hot dog bun, and then drowned in ketchup). Both boys got really excited about this. Sam said, "Yeah! Hot dogs!" TJ said, "Oh, yes! I will have to write this down in my memory book." I do not have the faintest clue what he is talking about.

TJ received a small dog from his failed trip to see my dentist (but we've had success since moving him to a pediatric dentist). The dog, Cooper, was a Happy Meal toy that wound up being a prize at the dentist's. TJ absolutely loves this dog. The dog has 2 empty Kleenex boxes that TJ has converted into doghouses for him. TJ is also trying hard to spell 'Cooper'. He sounded it out the other day and wrote it down..."KWPR". I thought that was a pretty good start.

SAM: Sam is still petrified of potty training and is also very much afraid of bath time. I do not know why. Nothing bad has happened to him, but he seems to be very afraid to take control of his bladder and he is terrified of having an accident in the tub. So for now, we are not even mentioning potty training to him. We also put him in a bathing suit or a diaper cover for bath time (I do remove it to wash him, but then it goes right back on). It does seem to be helping somewhat. He stays dry all night at least once a week, so I know he is fully capable of being potty trained, but I guess he isn't ready emotionally.

Sam is my ketchup king. He'll eat almost anything if you give him ketchup. Last night, I made a lemon chicken that you serve with snow peas over chicken ramen noodles. Sam picked at it for awhile, then asked for ketchup. I thought about arguing with him, but then decided it was more important that he finish his dinner. And he did! He just wanted some ketchup on his noodles and chicken (blech). I have started buying organic or natural ketchup for him. Dummy that I am, I never read the label and didn't realize regular ketchup had high fructose corn syrup in it. Sam doesn't need any additional calories or sugar. The organic/natural stuff has no corn syrup, fewer calories and less sodium. So he can enjoy it and I don't feel guilty about it.

NOLAN: Nolan is getting SO close to crawling! Last night he was on his tummy on the living room floor. Bill and I both watched as he used his feet to push himself across the carpet (he reached his goal and emptied a bunch of DVDs off the entertainment center). It's not a crawl yet, but he's definitely figuring out mobility.

Like his big brothers before him, Nolan has turned his burp cloth into his security blanket. His "Buddy" must be with him at all times. He gets a clean one everyday, but each one is special to him. If I pick him up and his Buddy is still on the floor, he will lean over until I lower him so he can grab it. He then places it on my shoulder, lays his head on it, and pats me on the back. It's so cute!

I am thankful that TJ now only wants his Buddy at bedtime. Sam wants it at bedtime and if he is hurt or upset. It would be rather tricky if I was trying to keep track of 3 Buddies at once. One is enough, thanks!

No comments: