Friday, January 23, 2009

TJ's report card

We are officially halfway through the school year. TJ came home with his report card yesterday. Report cards for Young 5's are pretty amusing. They don't get As, Bs, and Cs. They are graded by S (Successful), P (Progressing), T (Tries, has some success), and N (Needs more time). Here are some highlights from TJ's:

*Perfect attendance (woo hoo!)
*Can sort objects by color, shape, and size. Grade: T. Comment: Needed lots of prompting to sort. Mommy knows best: This was a boring task for TJ. If she had asked him to build a train or a space ship, he would have done it in a heartbeat. Of course, he NEEDS to learn to sort, so we'll work on that.
*Knows Basic Shapes. Grade: P. Comment: Did not know rectangle. Mommy does NOT know best. I had no idea! He really does not know what a rectangle is! Sam, however, knows what a pentagon and an octagon are! Clearly, Sam will need to tutor TJ in this area (Mommy will assist).
*Counts objects accurately to 25. Grade: P. Comment: Counts to 29 but skips 15. Um, why is he skipping 15? That's weird.

He successfully identified 21 of 26 upper case letters. That also surprised me. I would have expected that to be 25 or 26 out of 26. I wonder if he wasn't concentrating. He knew 21 of 26 lower case letters, which sounds about right to me.

He was also graded by his computer teacher (his grade was "Progressing Successfully") and his Physical Education teacher. It's a small school--he has the same teacher does both! TJ can gallop and hop well, but needs to work on skipping. That made me smile.

His music teacher also said he is doing well. Oddly enough, my child who sings beautifully and is always on pitch got his lowest grade for 'melody'. Whatever.

TJ has grown and changed so much. I can't believe how much one semester of school has done for him. He's still absolutely exhausted by Friday evening, but he loves school and never complains about going. And I still think his teacher is a saint for handling 18 other kids just like him.

2 comments:

Tobias Arthur said...

As I just finished entering my own report card grades, this post on TJ cracked me up!! Kids are so funny. Who know why they skip fifteen or can identify the crazy shapes, but not rectangle. Ryan had a doozy of a time learning to skip. I actually remember when he learned--Washington, DC on vacation when he was six. I think he skipped everywhere that weekend. Maybe your could have Nana and Papa Tictoc work on it during their next visit. :) Thanks for working to keep report cards in perspective. I'll rest a little more easily tonight. Love to you all!

Tobias Arthur said...

I also posted the survey thing on our blog. It's only my responses, though, not Jeff's. :) I also love the Sam-a-thon post. Only your and Bill's boys. :)