Friday, January 23, 2009

He's off the growth chart

Nolan had his 9-month well-child visit today. He has officially fallen off the bottom of the growth chart. My little man weighs 14 pounds, 12 ounces, and is 26.5 inches long. His height is in the 2.5%. At least that is still on the chart!

The doctor isn't concerned. She feels he is a petite child and that by age two, he'll have gained some ground. I told her about his eating habits (4 to 4.5 ounces of milk every 4 hours, and about 2/3 of a jar of baby food per day). If he eats more than that, he sends it back up. She said he's getting enough to eat for a baby his size.

Overall, Nolan is more advanced than Sam was at this stage. Nolan attempts to feed himself Fruit Puffs, and he sleeps well. He wakes up once a night if he's hungry (and of course I feed him!), and then he goes right back down. Sam was up 3-4 times a night at this stage. I am hopeful Nolan will not have the food/tummy issues that Sam did.

Speaking of Sam, there was a very good reason why he was fussing last weekend (see my note from the beginning of the week). His right ear is infected. I honestly think his left one is too, but there is so much wax, the physician's assistant couldn't tell. She was able to determine the right one was in bad shape, so she wrote the prescription. My mom took Sam in yesterday, since I had to work. I requested an antibiotic other than amoxicillan, since that upsets his stomach. Yikes. The one she prescribed had a $25 copay! So much for free antibiotics at Meijer. Anyway, he is acting much more normal today and his tummy seems all right. I'm giving him extra acidophilus to help his tummy deal with the antibiotics. Sometimes, figuring out what works for Sam feels like a science experiment!

No comments: