Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bathtime

You know the saying, "No good deed goes unpunished"? Well, that sort of sums up my morning.

Clark, my nephew, is coming over tonight to play with TJ and Sam while his mom and dad host their House Church at their home. I am taking Nolan and going with Amanda to sample foods for her wedding reception. This leaves Bill home alone with TJ, Sam, and Clark. The boys play well together, and Bill wasn't the least bit concerned about it, but I still decided to do him a favor and give the boys their baths this morning, so he wouldn't have to do it tonight.

That small gesture turned into a disaster. My plan was to put TJ and Sam in the tub and let them have their play time while I gave Nolan his bath in his little tub. Then I'd finish washing up the older two and then would be free to get my own shower in. Well, I got the older two in the tub and they were playing happily while I stripped Nolan. Just as I emerged from his room (carrying a small naked baby), TJ starts shrieking that Sam pooped in the tub (which has never happened before). I hurried into the bathroom and discovered two small items in the water that didn't belong there. TJ is crouching (wet and naked) on the edge of the tub. Sam is standing in the tub sobbing hysterically. I laid Nolan down on the rug (he was smiling and kicking his naked legs), so I could scoop the 'items' out, drain the bath water, quickly wipe the tub out with a disinfecting wipe, then put fresh water in. During this process, TJ slips off the tub ledge and lands with a crash next to Nolan. Nolan isn't hurt, just terrified. So terrified, in fact, that he peed all over my leg, my pajamas, my slipper, and the bath rug (which I just washed last week). ARGH! I quickly finished filling the tub back up and coaxed TJ back into the water. Sam would have nothing to do with it. He refused to sit in the water. Why HE was so upset, I don't know...he started this whole mess! I tried to comfort him, but realized he was just going to have to stay upset. I needed to get Nolan bathed and dressed.

Sam didn't stop screaming until I finished bathing & dressing him. I wonder if he'll ever poop in the tub again. He seems to have been emotionally scarred by the experience. As for me, I'm sure I'll laugh about it someday, but for now, I'm just tired!

1 comment:

Mrs. Russ-a-lee said...

I know it's not funny, and it's very un-friend-like for me to say this, but I laughed at this post. Not even a little, but a lot. I'm sorry, it's funny. Even funnier because it didn't happen to me. Hope tomorrow is better!