Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Anniversary trip

Bill and I went down to Northern Indiana this past weekend to celebrate our 10th anniversary. Yes, it was actually in late June, but Nolan was too little for me to leave. So, we decided to go in early fall. It was beautiful in Amish country. We stayed at a bed & breakfast we have been to before (The Victorian Guest House), which we love. We stay in the smallest room, the Sewing Room, because it has the nicest balcony, the biggest bathroom, and a decent closet.

We shopped in Shipshewana, but didn't actually buy anything there, other than a fabulous apple dumpling. We found all of our bargains at Burkolder's Dutch Village in Nappanee. It's a flea market/craft show/antique store. We bought a bunch of Hallmark cards for 25 cents each, a small fan for $1, Bill bought two records, and I found a book my sister needed, and two garden flags. Bill likes the antiques, I like the crafts, and we prowl the flea market together.

Here's some pictures from Amish Country. We love to look at their farms and their unique, sprawling farmhouses:This picture is in Shipshewana, and we were laughing over the modified wagon. Gone is that uncomfortable wagon seat. In its place are two comfy leather car seats!



Saturday night we went all out and had dinner at Tippecanoe Restaurant, which is the old Studebaker mansion. The food was great, but honestly the best part was wandering the mansion after dinner. We were given the okay to wander through any of the main four floors (there are seven altogether, but the attic, basement, and sub-basement are off-limits). I didn't have my camera in the restaurant, but I wish I had. Here's a couple shots of the outside:




Big thanks to Steve and Cindy for taking TJ this past weekend, and to my parents for taking Sam and Nolan. And to my work, which covered the lodging (it was my Christmas gift) and paid for a big portion of Saturday night's dinner. I have great bosses!!!!!

No comments: