Friday, May 16, 2014

Hollyword Week

The kindergarten classes have had 'Hollyword Week' all week. They've been doing fun activities utilizing the popcorn words they've learned all year (one activity was a paper snowball fight. The papers had words written on them and when a kid was 'hit', they had to read the words to the class. Cute). Today they capped off the week by dressing like Hollywood stars. I pondered this one all week. I didn't want Nolan to get too dressed up, as he still had outdoor recess. I thought about covering him in tattoos and pants that were falling down and having him go as Justin Beiber, but opted not to do that. Finally, I just put him in a preppy button-down shirt and some khaki pants and told him to look cool. He had brand-new sunglasses to wear as well. His awesome Angry Birds sunglasses met a grizzly fate last week. He still has no explanation for why he'd put them out in the grass right before Daddy started mowing. 

Anyway, Nolan got dressed this morning and asked me to snap his pants. He said the snap was too hard for him. This concerned me, as he obviously would need to go to the bathroom at some point during the day. I asked him if his teacher could help him. Nolan said yes, but then he added, "or Ricky could help me. He's a good helper". Ricky lives a couple houses down from us and is in Nolan's class at school. They are good buddies and I was touched to hear that Ricky looks out for Nolan. 

While the boys were eating breakfast, I was finishing packing up their lunches. I commented that in exactly four weeks, I wouldn't be packing their lunches because they would be on summer vacation. Nolan grinned and said, "Yep, and I'll be a first grader!" I looked shocked and I asked who told him that. "Ricky. He knows lots of stuff."

That comment cracked me up but part of me was saddened. First grade? My baby? How can this be happening?

Here's Sam posing with our nutty little super star, and then a picture his teacher emailed me:


No comments: