Monday, February 17, 2014

Bahamas!

People who have never been on a cruise don't know what they are missing. This is my favorite way to vacation. You are treated like you are in a resort, but the scenery keeps changing. 

We spent today on Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas. This island was leased by Holland America from the Bahamian government for 6 million dollars in 1994. The lease is for 99 years. When they leased the island, it was uninhabited. Holland America spent 15 million making it usable. They had to put in electricity, a water plant (they make their own water through reverse osmosis), and built numerous structures on the island to make it comfortable for its visitors. Bill and I took a guided nature walk of the island today and our guide was very informative (can you tell?).

45 people now live year-round on the island, and they are all employed by Holland America.  They are primarily maintenance people who make sure everything stays working correctly.  The majority of the employees (like our guide), live on another island about 18 miles away. She told us it is an hour and a half boat ride to work every day (which, of course, means there is a 90-minute commute home too). No thanks!

We were told to wear comfortable shoes and sunscreen.  I did put on sunscreen.  Really.  But I have two skin tones--pasty white and red.  And, at 37 years old, I still haven't learned to put on sunscreen properly.  So I am hurting right now.  If you touch my shoulders, you'll be hurting too.  That's a threat, and a promise. Haha.  I need to see if the store onboard has any aloe.

We saw some really pretty little blue lizards while we were on our walk today.  Our guide said they are corn lizards, also known as blue-tail lizards.  They are normally very timid, but one ran right up to me.  I may have freaked out a little and encouraged the little guy to move in a different direction.  Our guide laughed and assured me it was not dangerous.  I shot right back, "Well, neither are mice and I don't want one of those on my feet either!"  She laughed, agreed completely, and said I made a good point.  

We also spent some time sitting under a clamshell umbrella on the beach.  I fell asleep.  Yes, I took a nap on the beach in the Bahamas.  You're jealous.  We did not swim.  Bill didn't want to, and I don't like swimming by myself.  I did go for a walk along the shore (thus adding to the sunburn) and picked up a few unique shells to show TJ, Sam, and Nolan when we get home.  I was surprised at how small the shells were.

I can't describe how beautiful the island is, but I'll try. The water is the most amazing shade of blue.  The sand is almost white and it's so soft it feels like you are walking on talcum powder.  There's a sign on the beach that says "I wish I could stay here forever".  I can relate.  It's about as close to heaven on earth as you can get.

But, we have now re-boarded the ship.  Our cabin is in the very front of the ship, on the 6th deck (which is about halfway up).  We have a window that faces out the front.  It's really cool, because we can see exactly where we are going.  Only a couple cabins have this view.

Tomorrow is an 'at sea' day, while we head to Jamaica.  I plan on getting in a nice workout, read a lot, and perhaps doing a little shopping for three boys I know.  I miss you guys!  I hope you had fun with Papa and Grandma Cindy today!






No comments: