Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sam and Bill

One of our annual events while camping is Hobo Pie night. We aren't very imaginative. We just cut up everything you could possibly want on a pizza, and then make pizza hobo pies. Brianna suggested that next year we splurge on cheddar cheese, so people can make ham and cheese hobo pies if they want to. Woah. Craziness. We also make yummy dessert hobo pies with pie filling. One the pie is made, you put frosting on the top and it melts. Heaven.

My boys love hobo pie night...just as much for the experience of cooking dinner in the fire pit, as for eating the hobo pies. Sam had trouble with the name, though. He kept asking if he could make or eat a "moto pie".

My children have learned their phenomenal listening skills from their Dad. They all have this uncanny ability to look at me, interact with me, respond to what I'm saying, and yet not hear a word of it. I have learned over the years to repeat important things, or have them repeat things back to me.

The other night, I was trying to get Bill's attention. Our conversation went like this:

Me: "Okay, here's what we're going to do. Are you focused?"
Bill: "No. But I'm listening."

For some reason, that struck me as hilarious. I forgot what I was going to say! Apparently, I wasn't focused either!

No comments: