Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I'm Five Now!

Saturday, Sam turned five. He was much more interested in being a year older than he was in getting gifts (one of the reasons why I truly appreciate his quirkiness!). I was up early on Saturday to go to yoga with Brianna, but he was already up eating breakfast. I slipped down the hall, wrapped my arms around him, and whispered in his ear, "Happy Birthday, Sam!" He looked at me for a split second, let out a gasp, and shouted, "TJ, I'm FIVE now!" It was so cute.

After agonizing over what to buy him, Sam's favorite gift is a metal watering can I grabbed at Flowerland on Thursday. Go figure. He also likes his Lego set that he got, and is trying to copy TJ and create things.

On Sunday, I asked Sam what he wanted for lunch. He always says the same thing: a hot cheese sandwich (which you can make by preparing a genuine grilled cheese sandwich, or by making a cheese sandwich and microwaving for 10 seconds, or by toasting bread and slapping cheese on it. He's not picky). Usually, he and Nolan split a sandwich. But on Sunday, Sam came up to me and very quietly said, "Mom, I am five now. Five-year-olds eat a whole sandwich all by themselves."

Of course, I got a kick out of that. Bill and I decided to go for it and we made a whole hot cheese sandwich for Sam to eat all by himself. He proudly inhaled the entire thing and then informed Nolan that when HE turns five, he can have a whole sandwich too.

That night, my mom stopped by. They had been camping an extra week at Cran-Hill, so she hadn't seen Sam on his birthday. She wished Sam a happy birthday and asked Sam if he was different, now that he was five. Sam very seriously said yes. He informed her that five-year-olds can jump off of stuff, and on to stuff.

I have no idea what he will be jumping on or off of. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: