Friday, August 21, 2009

Frozen cookies and the weather channel

Wednesday night, Sam, Nolan, and I had dinner at my parent's house (TJ was off on an adventure with Grandma Cindy). After dinner, Sam requested a cookie for dessert. My mom pulled a tin out of the freezer. I have never thought twice about this...my mom bakes, and puts all the cookies in tins in the freezer. When we want a cookie, we pull out a tin and eat the cookie frozen. I kinda like frozen chocolate chip cookies. But now I'm wondering if anyone else freezes their cookies...

Anyway, Sam crunched on his cookie and went off to play. I took a cookie and was shocked at how hard it was. Her deep freezer must have just been running, or something. I have no idea how Sam managed to eat his. I had a hard time breaking off a few small pieces for Nolan to eat. My mom also took a cookie. She was holding it with her lips while she balanced Nolan on her hip and tried to close the cookie tin (to return it to the freezer, of course). Quick as a wink, Nolan snatched the cookie out of her mouth and stuffed it in his own. And...nothing happened. It was so frozen, he couldn't even bit off the tiniest bit. The look of shock and confusion on his face was priceless. Before the tears filling his eyes could even roll down his cheeks, my mom took the cookie back and broke a piece off for him. Crisis averted, but it sure was funny!

TJ is back on his weather channel kick. He watches WOOD TV's weather channel (8-3). It's just the NOAA weather recording, which repeats every 5 minutes or so, and the radar is on a loop. I can handle listening to it for exactly five minutes. But TJ will watch it for an hour at a time! It drives me nuts! And then he repeats phrases, but doesn't always understand what they are talking about. "Mama, water spouts are coming! They are dangerous!" "Mama, spotter activation will not be necessary tonight! Oh no!"

He also told me that he wants to be a weather man someday, but he has to wait for one of the current weather men to die. I tried explaining retirement to him, but he has it is in head that you report the weather until you drop dead. Then the station hires someone new. I wonder if Bill Steffen knows about this.

No comments: