Monday, August 17, 2009

Being a single parent

Bill is gone for the week. He had an opportunity to do a one-week contract position in Louisville, Kentucky, so of course, he jumped on it. A former boss recommended him for the position. Bill is actually trying to get a job at the same place where this former boss works, so he knew this was an opportunity to make an impression with those people.

I hate it when he's gone. It's not that I can handle the kids...I can do that. It's not that I'm afraid to be alone at night...that doesn't bother me. It's not the extra work...I can keep up with that, as long as the lawn doesn't need to be mowed. I just hate how quiet it is. The only people I talked to all day were my children. There is no adult interaction. No one to laugh with me at the funny things they say. No one to wonder what I'm up to today. No one to give me a five-minute sanity break. It was noisy here all day, but I'm still lonely.

I think back to my childhood, and my Dad was gone often. Sometimes he was gone for months on end. To this day, I still do not know how my Mom did it...and she had 2 more kids to cope with than I did!

This will all be worth it if Bill lands a full-time job because of this contract position. Even if the new job requires him to travel occasionally. He can handle it. And I can handle it. At least, that's what I keep telling myself!

No comments: