Monday, June 29, 2015

12 days

The movers come in 12 days. We are totally and completely packed.

Not. 

We are trying to box up and move as much stuff on our own as we can. The movers charge by the hour and since there is a four hour drive involved (two hours each way), we want them to spend as little time as possible packing the truck. 

So anything that we know we won't be using at the new house isn't coming. The first item to go was the bunk beds. I detest those things (changing the bedding is exhausting and annoying) and the boys will each have their own room at the new house (you know...next year...after it's built). The beds weren't particularly high quality and I said I didn't even want to keep them to split them in to two twin beds. So I put the set on Craigslist for $100 and even threw in the mattresses. Bill said he hoped I could get rid of them before moving day.

Well, apparently there is a big demand for bunk beds. Either that or I underpriced them. I had over a dozen people try to buy them. I had my buyer within 2 hours. TJ burst into tears when I told him. I hadn't realized he was so attached to them, but he was genuinely upset to see them go. 

For the next two weeks, TJ and Sam will be sharing the queen bed. We brought it up from the guest room. For the first time in over 7 years, TJ is no longer sleeping on a top bunk (he even sleeps on the top bunk when we are up north). For years, I noticed that he slept pressed firmly against the side rail. I suspect he is going to fall out of bed a couple of times before he learns. 


If you look closely, you can see Sam's knee on the far side of the bed. I'm not sure where the rest of him is. 

The next item to go was Bill's table saw. He has had it for years and the bearings were starting to go. He said there was no way he could build another house with it. I agreed that it was time for a new one. Bill said the old one was pretty worthless so we decided to put it at the curb tonight. Tomorrow is trash day and someone comes through the neighborhood in the middle of the night to pick up interesting looking trash. We hoped they would take the table saw. Otherwise, we'd be charged extra for throwing something that large away. I helped Bill get it down to the curb. It took us a good 5 minutes to lug that thing down the driveway. We got it in place and Bill said a fond farewell to it (TJ is definitely his kid). We walked back up the driveway just as a landscaping truck pulled up. The guy got out and asked if he could have the table saw. Said his brother could use it. Bill was thrilled to hear it wouldn't be scrapped. I couldn't stop laughing.  I think the table saw sat at the curb for 45 seconds. The guy kept thanking Bill. Everybody wins. 

No comments: