Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sound the alarm!

A couple times this past week, Sam mentioned that they had a fire drill at school. He really enjoys those. He likes the procedure and seeing how the alarms and lights work together. I made the mistake of telling him that we used to do fire drills at the day care where I worked. He was extremely intrigued. He wanted to know what it was like to pull the alarm, how you shut it off, where the kids exited, if we timed the kids, etc. 

Then he got on YouTube. YouTube is a lifesaver for parents with children like Sam. He knows he isn't alone. He found other people who shared his fascination with fire alarms. He spent this weekend learning about the different brands and models. He watched videos of people who had wired their houses with commercial fire alarm systems.  Wow. That would be much worse than putting up with a pipe organ in one's basement. 

Needless to say, I heard A LOT of fire alarms this weekend. And I'm telling you, it doesn't matter where you go in this house. If your second grader is watching a video with a fire alarm sounding, you cannot escape that sound. 

Now that I am reading this over, I wonder if I should be concerned about Sam pulling the fire alarm at school. I don't think we would do that....maybe if he stays interested in these, we will have to buy him his own fire alarm (thank goodness for eBay too!)  I am sure he would have it wired and installed in no time. I am pretty certain his dad would be thrilled to help him with that. 

No comments: