Monday, May 27, 2013

A fleeting moment of pride

We were on the east side of the state this weekend, checking out the progress on the house, going to the Detroit Zoo, and beginning the process of looking for a new church.

Yesterday's prospect was First Presbyterian Church in Brighton. The younger two boys are accustomed to going to Children's Church halfway through the service, so we knew it might be a challenge to keep all three quiet and still for the entire hour. My goal was to not be publicly embarrassed. 

Much to our shock, all three boys did great! TJ read quietly, Nolan was fairly good as long as he was in my lap, and Sam in particular seemed to be soaking in the service. It was Trinity Sunday and during the sermon, the minister out a picture of the Trinity up on the screen. He spent a long time talking about how they were sitting, what they were holding, the significance of their clothes...it was quite interesting. Then the minister pointed out that the three of them were sitting at a table and that there was room for a fourth. That fourth person is you, he said. Picture it. At this moment, Sam leaned over and told Bill he was picturing himself in heaven with God. Bill was thrilled. Not only was Sam behaving, he was listening!!

After the service, we were warmly greeted by a number of people. One woman came up to me and said she was impressed with how well-behaved my children were. I had to fight the urge to turn around and see if she was talking to someone behind me. 

Today, Nolan was complaining to me that Christmas isn't coming fast enough. I said, 'Who needs Christmas? We have the whole summer ahead of us! We leave for vacation (our week in the Upper Peninsula) next week!

Nolan looked at me impatiently and said, "I don't want adventure! I want presents!"

Yep. Proud moment officially over. 

No comments: