Sunday, June 24, 2012

A brief hiatus

I will not be blogging about my vacation reflections tonight.  I still have some stories about Nolan to share, but those will have to wait for another night.  No, tonight I must share my lovely evening shopping experience.

We had dinner with Bill's mom.  On our way home, we all stopped at Meijer.  Normally, I shop solo, but since we were driving right by, it made sense for us to shop as a family.  In theory, it was supposed to be a quick shopping trip. I didn't need much, and Bill was going to take the older two boys to the far side of the store for some pool supplies we needed and to look at the Legos.  Nolan and I were going to zip through the grocery section and get the food we needed.

Everything was going just fine until the cereal aisle.  Nolan suddenly gave me that frantic look I have learned to hate.  Sure enough, he said, "Potty!"  I groaned.  I asked if he could wait a few minutes.  He thought this over seriously and said, "I can wait five seconds".  Oh dear.  Just then, Bill rounded the corner with his cart, Sam, and one angry 8-year-old who was in the midst of a tantrum.  I ignored Mr. Tantrum, handed Nolan off to Bill and said, "Go!  Find a bathroom!"  Sam decided he needed to go as well, so that left me with two carts...and TJ.  TJ was mad because Bill wouldn't loan him the money he needed to get some Lego thing.  Ugh.  I couldn't maneuver both carts by myself, so I had a hostile child pushing one.  I was quite worried he was going to run my foot over. 

Thankfully, Bill rejoined us fairly soon and helped us pick up the last few items we needed in produce (FYI- never let your husband select the cherries.  He bought almost 3 pounds.  I just about needed a loan to pay for his fruit!).  In the checkout lane, the kids started getting on my nerves in a MAJOR way.  Bill was standing behind us, with a box fan and the pool supplies in his cart.  He may have also been pretending he didn't know us.  I was unloading my cart with the groceries in it.  Sam wanted one of most of the candies in the candy aisle, Nolan wanted to get out of the cart, and TJ was still beefing about the Legos.  I grumbled to Bill about this being the reason why I don't like to take the boys shopping.  He nodded in agreement and I bent down to grab a gallon of milk from the bottom of the cart.

At this point, I don't know exactly what happened.  I was crouched down, and the milk was less than a foot away from the ground.  But I somehow dropped it.  And the side split open.  And milk shot everywhere! TJ got doused, Sam got splashed, I had milk in my hair and all over my face.  I managed to tip the mangled gallon and actually salvaged about 2/3 of the milk.  Bill ran off to pick up a new gallon of milk (and to probably escape the chaos).  Our cashier handed me a couple rolls of paper towels so I could try to contain the lake of milk while she finished ringing up the freaked out customer in front of me.  Another cashier took the mangled gallon away in a big bag.  TJ was sobbing.  Sam was freaking out.  I was getting extremely dizzy from bending down and was trying to keep from blacking out completely.  I was starting to feel like I was in a bad sitcom.  At this point, TJ suddenly calmed himself down.  He said (VERY LOUDLY), "We can't blame Mom.  You know this isn't her fault.  She just hasn't been exercising."

Okay.  Bad situation has become worse. 

We made it home.  The kids are now in bed.  I will not be taking them back to Meijer any time soon.

No comments: