Sunday, March 29, 2015

Vacation Memories

These are funny things that my kids said while at Disney last month. I just kept procrastinating writing the blog post!

Wise words from Nolan on our drive down: "It's better to stop at a McDonald's than a rest stop when you have to go to the bathroom. It's more likely that your mom will buy you cookies then." In my defense, I only bought cookies once. 

Sam spent an awful lot of time reading a road atlas and kept sharing tidbits of information with us. At one point, he was jabbering on about "Ark Kansas". Bill corrected his pronunciation and Sam was convinced Bill was joking. "Are you kidding me? ArkanSAW? Where'd they come up with that??"

We checked into our hotel in Chattanooga pretty late the night we left. Sam's mind was still working away though.  He came out of the bathroom and announced that they had good toilets at the hotel because they are 'the same toilets we have at our house!' 

Bill went right in the bathroom and looked. He said Sam was right. I have no idea what brand toilets we have!

The next morning, we went down for the free breakfast. The dining room had the usual small tables scattered anout, but they also had a very large island in the center of the room with over a dozen bar stools surrounding it. There was a high school girls' volleyball team in town for a competition. Most of the team and some of their parents were sitting on the bar stools. Sam and Nolan climbed right up there with them and started filling them in on our life story. I tried to get them to come sit with me, but they had a pretty captive audience so I gave up. I finished my food and went to get a coffee refill. One of the adults in the room came over to me and said, "Your children have remarkable vocabularies."

Don't I know it!

One of the rides at Epcot that probably isn't too popular with kids is called "Living with the Land". It's a boat ride that takes you through the some indoor greenhouses and explains how Disney World is finding new and earth-friendly ways to grow their own food while conserving energy. My kids love this ride. We went on it twice. As we were floating past some lettuce that Disney was growing out of soil, Nolam said, "Hey look! A lettuce convention!"

The lady sitting behind us laughed so hard I thought she was going to choke.

Another day, Nolan had to go to the bathroom. I said I would tell Dad so that he could take him in the bathroom. Nolan said, "Why don't you just take me in the customized bathroom?" I had to think about that one for a minute. Then it dawned on me. Customized bathroom = companion bathroom! 

No comments: